Sunday, March 21, 2010

12 Common Errors

Honestly, I found the “12 Common Errors” resource to be very interesting. Those errors tend to take away from a persons writing, regardless of how excellent the content is. What I believe is my main error when writing is having sentence sprawl. While I do not exactly write sentences that may span a paragraph, I tend to add on unnecessary words that negatively impact the sentence. My style of writing is very “flowery”, which in moderation is a good thing, it is negative in excess. I believe I write this way because of the books that I’ve read. I’m very interested in classics such as Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, and the like. Reading novels such as those, I have found that writing is something that should be beautiful. Words cannot just be tacked together and be called a sentence. A word in a sentence is it’s own entity, it itself has a deeper meaning that should thread into the sentence itself. Words need to flow, to tie together, and make up what should be meaningful reading. Anyone can create something, but that something is not always meaningful to anyone. But that is not to say that my writing does not need to be trimmed down. I need to also consider that sentences can be beautiful without the ornaments. It is possible that a tree can be beautiful without the Christmas decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment